Shihan Sandra Phillips
Co-Founding Instructor of Sunshine Coast Karate (est. 2000)
Co-Founder of Karate4Life Edojo
Author: A Way of Living Book Series
Training History: Studying Chito-Ryu Karate-Do since 1990.
Dan Level: 5th Dan
Instructor Qualification: Shihan
Sandra Sensei has been studying Chito-Ryu Karate-Do since 1990 and started her competitive career in 1993. She has represented Australia on a number of occasions, competing at the International Chito-Ryu Karate-Do Championships since 1995, which is the highest level of competition for the Chito-Ryu style held every 3 years.
Throughout her international competitive career, Sandra Sensei has consistently ranked in the top three in her division every time she has competed at the Soke Cup, winning gold in 2004. Her latest achievement was gold in 2017, and she also helped husband Martin Sensei to coach students to achieve podium positions including most recently 6 gold medalists, 3 silver medalists and 3 bronze medalists in 2017.
In the year 2000, Sandra Sensei and husband Martin Sensei co-founded Sunshine Coast Karate in Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast, Australia. Since the year 2000 they have worked with thousands of people of all ages not only in the dojo, but they have also helped students transfer valuable life skills into their everyday lives.
Sandra Sensei continues to balance weekly karate training along side of time with her family, teaching, studies and writing. Sandra Sensei’s greatest passion is in serving others. In her words "there is no greater satisfaction than to help another person reach greater heights in their lives". Sandra Sensei strives to grow with every day as a student of karate and of life whilst actively documenting many valuable lessons along the way.
As a result of documenting her life lessons, Sandra Sensei is now creating "A Way of Living" book series. In this series, she shares much of her learning with the goal to help people of all ages to:
- "Survive" and "thrive" in our rapidly changing world.
- Grow from the inside out. Strengthening, expanding, identifying personal power and realising your unique gifts.
- Grow, respect and appreciate others. Become a person of service and share their unique gifts.
- Develop as leaders and do all they can to contribute to the uniting of families and communities.
- Numerous regional, state and national championships competitor 1993 – 2004.
- Podium finishes (Kata & Kumite) at the International Chito-Ryu Championships (also known as the Soke Cup) in 1995, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2013 and 2017. Winning gold in 2004 and 2017.
Sandra Sensei's final match in individual kumite at the 2017 International Chito-Ryu Karate-Do Championship in Kumamoto, Japan. Sandra Sensei moved through this event winning 3-0 in all matches except one match that she won 2-0.
- Students representing Sunshine Coast Karate and Australia at International Chito-Ryu Championships. Numerous outstanding performances, podium finishes and international karate champions in 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017 & 2019. Most recent, all Sunshine Coast representatives securing a place on the podium.
An Interview with Sandra Sensei featured in 'Full Time Woman'
'Success comes from being yourself and being fully present in life'. Read more, visit the Full Time Woman online.
Last updated: February 2020
What People Say About Sandra Sensei
2/14 Depot St (Access via Progress Rd)
Maroochydore, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Across the road from Energex
Ph: 0435 255 323
Sunshine Coast Karate © 2019. All rights reserved.